Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tri Training

So I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and put my money where my mouth is-- can I fit anymore cliches into this sentence?-- and registered for the Danskin Women's Triathlon. On June 6th, I'll be swimming a half mile (800 m), biking 12 miles, and then running 3.1 miles as fast as my legs will carry me. Currently, that's not very fast, but I'm working on it. Following is a sample of my weekly training schedule. (Keep in mind that the distances get longer each week...)

Monday: 60 minute circuit training/weight lifting class

Tuesday: Swim 20 minutes (roughly a 5 minute warm up, followed by a 1000 yd. swim); run 25 minutes

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Bike 30 minutes; run 20 minutes; abs

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Swim 35 minutes

Sunday: Bike 45 minutes

I've been having some trouble with my left knee, as well as shin splints-- both of these ailments flare up any time I start running more than about once a week. So I'm contemplating cutting the work outs back to only 4 times a week instead of 5, and maybe subbing some of the runs for the elliptical trainer. But, overall I'm feeling good about my training so far. I've been fairly disciplined, and am definitely already seeing good progress in my swimming speed and my overall cardiovascular capabilities.

The only thing is... I've discovered I could really stand to invest in some padded bike shorts. Last weekend's 75 minute ride on bumpy terrain in lycra workout pants... Yowza!!

4 comments:

  1. go you!! i'm training for a half marathon....but i still haven't "put my money where my mouth is." i'm nervous i'll get injured and then won't be able to compete. one of these days i really want to try a tri. keep us posted on how it goes....training and competition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! What bike are you using - did you bring one from Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck! can't wait to hear about your progress!

    ReplyDelete