Friday, November 20, 2009

Vanity, Starbucks, and New Moon

A few random thoughts today...

Am I the only one who makes more of an effort on my appearance when I know I am having a photo taken of me for official documentation purposes than I would, say, if I was going out on the town with my husband for a nice date night? I know, so sad. Clearly my priorities are skewed, but really... that passport photo is going to last for ten years. My new married name finally gives me an excuse to ditch that heinous photo of me from sophomore year in college when I was planning my junior year study abroad, and don't think I didn't bust out the flat iron, eye liner, and lipstick this morning. Oh yes I did. I think the last time I wore lipstick was on my wedding day. And I was probably better accessorized than the Savvy department manager at Nordstrom on the day I had my Texas drivers licence photo taken. Again, priorities... What can I say? I'm vain.

On a totally unrelated note, as I was in line at Starbucks this morning ordering my post-workout latte (my reward on those mornings when I succeed in dragging my butt out of bed before 6am to hit the gym), I noticed all the festive holiday decor and it made me think for a second that I was back home in the Northwest. Which is ridiculous because clearly all 100,000+ Starbucks stores in the U.S. have the exact same holiday decor up, but for some reason festively bedecked Starbucks = home for the holidays in my head. I'd like to think it's the Starbucks/Seattle connection, but I have a feeling that half of all Starbucks patrons across the country could easily say the same thing. What does this all mean? I have no idea... Maybe they're just really good at marketing.

And finally... New Moon. Is anyone seeing this? I will cop to the fact that I devoured all 4 books last winter, and (mostly) enjoyed them. Some annoying teenage whininess aside, I was pretty wrapped up in the story. But then I saw the Twilight movie. Gag me. With a large wooden spoon. At that point, I pretty much swore off all of the other Twilight movies. But now New Moon comes along, and it actually doesn't have horrendous reviews, and then there's that whole wolf pack looking all rugged and toned... and shirtless... and I'm kind of reconsidering my position... Even while reading the books I was sort of on Team Jacob (if I was going to pick a team at all... Emily makes a pretty solid point here), and after seeing the previews for New Moon, I think Taylor Lautner's Jacob is going to win a few more converts.
It might be worth a trip to the theater after all... or, at the very least, maybe I can sneak it on to my Netflix queue. ; )

1 comment:

  1. I hear it's good! Although I must admit I liked the first movie (and Matt loved it). We're planning to go next week. I'll let you know if it's worth the $$ for the big screen...

    ReplyDelete