Sunday, February 21, 2010

Avatar, pool time, and live music

That about sums up our weekend... Super low key and relaxing, and totally "Austin." On Friday night we headed out to our fav Tex Mex joint, Curra's (mmm... avocado margaritas... sounds weird, but tastes divine!), and on our way home we heard some lively music blaring from the outdoor bar at Guero's. We've been bad Austinites-- in the 7 or so months we've lived here, we haven't gone out of our way to hear live music once. A few times we've kind of stumbled into it, but we've been telling ourselves on an almost weekly basis that we need to get out and see some shows.

We had had plans on Friday evening to hit up Austin's legendary Continental Club (which also happens to be about 2 doors down from our apartment) after dinner, but on a whim decided check out the blues-y rock at Guero's first. That was a good call. We ended up staying for two hours (and quite a few margaritas), and it was fantastic. The band was called Los Flames. I didn't really know many of the songs, but I felt like it would have been the kind of music I would hear if it was about 1954 and I was hanging out a tavern deep in the bayou in Louisiana. And listening to it outside, on a balmy evening, under grove of huge live oak trees strung up with globe lights was perfect.
Saturday was a lazy day. And by lazy, I mean I was in my pajamas until 2:30pm, and got dressed only to get back in bed for a nap at about 3:30. I could chalk it up to the margaritas, but work has been so insane lately, I felt like I deserved a day of complete and utter sloth. I did manage to get myself cleaned up and actually leave the house though. We went to see Avatar in 3D (and, yes, we are probably the last people in the entire country to see this movie.) I was pleasantly surprised. It's been so hyped up that I felt like it was just something I should see, but might not actually like it that much. I'm not that big into sci fi or fantasy, and I tend to get real antsy in movies longer than 2 hours, but it actually didn't feel that long to me and I was totally engaged the whole time. Definitely worth the $15 for 3D.

Today has also been pretty mellow, but I managed to get a 3 mile run in. It was also about 76 today, so I put on my swimsuit and headed down to the pool to do a little reading. I wasn't sure if it would feel warm enough, but there were a bunch of other people down there with the same idea and it felt hot-- like sweating in the sun hot, and I actually got some little tan lines. So obviously I had to send the obligatory bragging texts to my sister and pals in Seattle. (Of course, it's supposed to be a whopping 39 here on Tuesday, so they shouldn't feel too bad.) Now we're just watching the Olympics and relaxing. All in all, a fantastic weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Jealous of the pool time!! Sounds like a perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete