Friday, November 5, 2010

Latest Flicks

Thank you for your sweet comments on my last post. I really appreciate it. Recently, I've read a few stories of other women's experiences with miscarriages on various blogs, and it helped me feel a little bit better that I'm not the only one out there going through this. I don't exactly have a huge following on this blog, but figured if it helped me to hear someone else's story, it may help someone else to hear mine.

On a lighter note, I am so excited that we are getting into prime movie season... Oscar contender time. Late fall is when so many of the best movies of the year come out. Recently, I've seen the following films:

I really enjoyed both Social Network and The Town. Social Network was fascinating-- it's amazing to think that something so ubiquitous as Facebook started up in some random kid's dorm room (albeit a brilliant, though socially awkward, kid.) Facebook didn't really catch on until after I was in college, but I remember my sister spending a bunch of time on it when she was in college and I so did not get it. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to sit around post stuff on their profile and stalk ex-junior high friends' pictures. It seemed like a JV version of MySpace (which I also didn't really get into very much.) Of course, now I check Facebook on my iPhone regularly. It's just a part of life now.

As for The Town... nail biting plot, strong acting, and Jon Hamm + Ben Affleck in the same movie? Sold. The only thing I didn't love was that Jon Hamm was essentially Don Draper dressed as an FBI agent. He's hilarious when he does cameos on 30 Rock, and he was amazing when he participated in the opening number for the Emmy's, so obviously he's got some range. It would be great to see him in some different types of roles.

That brings us to Never Let Me Go. This was one of those films (and I use the word "film" intentionally) that is beautifully written and art directed. The cinematography is stunning. The acting will probably garner at a least a few Academy nods. But, geez. Could it be any more of a downer?? Quick plot summary: a bunch of kids are created through cloning and then raised from birth to ultimately become organ donors in a society that has essentially eradicated disease (because they can replace your lungs, kidneys, liver, heart, or [fill in the blank] courtesy of the donors.) So, um, these kids grow up knowing they will die. And then they do. Yeah, there's some other stuff that happens (I won't ruin the entire thing for you), but all in all, it was probably not the film I should have seen earlier this week while feeling a little down due to other circumstances. Maybe put it on your Netflix queue when you need a good cry.

We saw the preview for Black Swan with Natalie Portman, which I am intrigued by, but not 100% sold that I should see it in the theater. I love Natalie Portman, but this movie looks like a classy mash up of Center Stage and Single White Female. I'm not sure that's totally up my alley.

What good movies have you seen lately? Are there any upcoming films you are really looking forward to seeing?

No comments:

Post a Comment