Sunday, November 14, 2010

Update and prayers needed

Well, unfortunately, it turns out that my miscarriage wasn't just a miscarriage. On Friday I was diagnosed with a molar pregnancy. It's extremely rare, and it's pretty complicated, but it essentially means that the pregnancy tissue has been growing rapidly, like a tumor, in my uterus. It is most likely benign, but we won't know for sure until we get some test results back in 2-3 weeks. Tomorrow morning, I need to have a surgical procedure to remove all of the tissue, and then I will need to be monitored weekly for the next 6 months or so to make sure my hcg levels go down to zero and stay that way. We may be able to have children at some point in the future, but we won't know for sure until we get the test results back, and even then, it will be a ways off. To say that I'm shocked is an understatement. I was shocked when I thought I was having a miscarriage, and the odds of that happening are about 20%. The odds of this happening instead are 0.1%. I keep joking that apparently I should go to Vegas more often.

My procedure tomorrow is a little bit risky because there is some danger of hemorrhaging and losing quite a bit of blood. I am just trying to stay positive and focus on getting through tomorrow with flying colors, and not think about the long road ahead of us after that. I would appreciate your thoughts, prayers, or any positive energy you can throw my way as we embark on this journey. Hopefully, I will have good news to share in the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you...I will be praying that tomorrow morning goes smoothly and without pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( I'm so sorry! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete