Friday, December 3, 2010

Catching up

I can't believe it's already December 3rd! This year is flying by. (I think I say that at the beginning of every new month.) I think it's just especially bizarre to me that it's almost Christmas because it's so nice here! 76 and sunny today. Strange.

We had a great Thanksgiving in Portland. I didn't take any pictures, but we enjoyed plenty of time with my parents, my sister and her husband, and my brother and his fiance. We are all only able to get together a few times a year, so it's special when we do. While we were there they had some unseasonably cold weather-- like lows in the 20s. Before we left (and it was 80+ here), I was pining away for some nice cold weather. I was romanticizing thick wool sweaters, toasty beverages, and roaring fires. Then, as soon as we stepped out of the airport, I remembered what 28 degrees feels like. Not good. It's amazing how fast my blood has thinned. After only a year and a half in Texas, anything below 60 suddenly seems frigid. Still, it's hard to get in the Christmas spirit when it's this nice. I wouldn't mind it if was cold just through the end of the year, and then we could pick right back up where we left off in the 70s.

I also had my two-week check up for my surgery earlier this week. Everything is looking good, and I can say I am finally feel normal again after two months of pregnancy-related ups, downs, and complications, both physical and emotional. I will need to have my blood tested weekly to monitor me as the hcg in my system declines, until I have 3 consecutive weeks where no hcg is measured. Then I will need monthly tests, totaling up to 6-12 months. My first blood test was on Monday and we got great results. I definitely have a long road to go, but we're off to a good start and I'm just trying to be optimistic. I struggle with taking it one day at a time, and not letting my mind race ahead to all the what-ifs, but I'm really working on trying to enjoy each day as it comes-- even though I feel like my life is in a holding pattern. Patience has never been one of my strengths, so this situation is forcing me to work on cultivating that quality, as well as the ability to stay present in the here and now.

But, fortunately for me, it's the holiday season and there are lots of fun things going on to distract me! Parties, dinners, shopping, and decorating galore. I should be back soon with some fun updates (as well as photos!)

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. It warms my heart to hear that you are doing okay. I've been thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your better soon!

    I am coming to you via Webbisodes:)

    I am your newest follower. I am a runner too. I need some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kiersten, I'm so glad things are going better! I love the new blog design too :)

    ReplyDelete