Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Have you ever returned groceries?

Because I have. And let me tell you... awkward! Granted, I have a totally valid reason (at least that's what I told myself yesterday). Basically, I bought a bunch of ingredients to make some appetizers for a Super Bowl party that we didn't end up attending, and now we're heading out of town. Considering my near obsession with using up everything we have in the fridge each week-- including, um, "creative" techniques to utilize past-its-prime produce-- and my extreme aversion to ever wasting food (blame it on the OCD), I definitely wasn't going to let this bag full of groceries sit around and go bad. And, now that we're on our all-cash, Dave Ramsified budget, my frugal tendencies are flaring into overdrive. Not only do I not want to waste food, I also don't want to waste money from my precious grocery budget. So I decided I would just return my groceries.

Logical, right? Returning my groceries toooooootally makes sense.

Too bad genius over here decided the perfect time to take care of this little errand would be at 6:15pm on a Tuesday night, smack in the middle of the dinner rush at the grocery store. Long lines, crowds of people, the works. Then, when I finally get up the register, unload my bag, and give my spiel (while enduring heavy sighs and massive eye rolls from the people behind me), the cashier has to page the manager over the intercom. Yeah, that's not embarrassing.

Ultimately, they did take back my groceries, and I'm sure it's not the first time it's ever happened at that store. But, moving forward, I think it might be time to impose some limits on my frugality. (Or, on the occasions when I can't tame my OCD tendencies, I will at least save my embarrassing errands for very early in the morning or very late at night!)

Please tell me I'm not the only one who is this crazy...

3 comments:

  1. I've returned groceries. Sometimes when I buy more than I need of something because I don't know how much of an ingredient I will need I'll return in. I don't think twice about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I had no idea you could even do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!!! Did you read my mind?? I totally returned a jar of peanut butter TODAY because it had a really weird consistency. I was very proud to get my $4.89 back!!

    ReplyDelete