Friday, August 23, 2013

Five on Friday

I'm linking up with the ladies once again for Five on Friday. We've been busy lately, with lots of fun stuff planned for the weekend!

1.) Hatch Chile Pepper Season: Jason and I stopped by Central Market last weekend during their annual Hatch Chile festival and purchased five pounds of roasted peppers. After making a quick batch of Hatch turkey chili on Sunday, we saved the rest for future use. On Tuesday night, we washed, seeded, chopped, and prepped all of of them for the freezer. The photo below is not exactly the most glamorous image, but don't be fooled-- these little guys will add tons of amazing flavor to everything from chili, cornbread, mac and cheese, enchiladas, and more, all through the fall and winter. Can't wait!



2.) Office Boot Camp: Since the beginning of the month, my office has been hosting a twice-weekly bootcamp. We gather every Monday and Thursday mornings with a trainer (a former Big 12 track and field coach) on the top of our parking garage, and he runs us through all kinds of drills, sprints, and circuits. We don't use any weights aside from our own body weight, and we only recently just started adding some floor exercises on a mat. The first few times he went easy on us to gauge our individual levels of fitness, so I made the mistake of thinking it wasn't going to be very challenging. Um, wrong. I am so sore this morning I can barely walk. But I love it. And it's such a nice perk to have through work.

3.) Beautiful Ruins: I'm reading this book right now for my book club and really enjoying it. The story line toggles between 1962 Italy and present day Los Angeles. It's really well written, but also fast moving. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a fun read.



4.) Baby and Wedding Showers: It's that time of year! One of my best friends from college is expecting a baby boy in October, so I travelled down to San Antonio last weekend to celebrate with her and her friends. Afterwards, we spent some time talking about our labor and delivery experiences. It brought back such fun memories. I'm excited for her as she embarks on this new adventure. Right now I'm also helping to plan a wedding shower for a good friend here in Austin. Next Saturday night, a large group of us will be gathering at Parkside for a great meal, some cocktails, and lots of laughs I'm sure. I'm looking forward to it!

5.) Birthday Weekend: And, last but certainly not least... my birthday weekend is here! My actual birthday is Monday, but the festivities kick off this afternoon. My good friend from San Antonio is coming back up here tonight for dinner and to spend the night. We've got a nice pedicure on the agenda tomorrow before she heads back, and then Jason and I have a sitter coming over at 5pm, so we can enjoy a night out on the town. Sunday we've got dinner plans with some other friends, and then on Monday we'll cook a tasty meal at home-- I'm thinking maybe steaks on the grill. Here's to a new year ahead!


1 comment:

  1. Stopped by from the link up! I'm going to have to check out Beautiful Ruins, sounds good! Pretty awesome your office is doing a boot camp. Good way to get everyone in shape! Have a good birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete