Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It's That Time Again...

Every summer I just have to take a few minutes and whine about living on the face of the sun. Today's the day:

Screen shot taken from my phone yesterday evening as I was leaving work.

In all fairness, this summer actually hasn't been that bad. We hovered in the 97-99 range for most of July, and it's not until we hit days upon days of triple digits that I really get burnt out (pun!) on the heat. I was hanging in there for quite a while, but now it's August and I'm officially over it. I'm tired of sweating on the walk from the garage door to the car, I'm tired of an electric bill that rivals a medium-sized car payment, and I'm tired of just generally hibernating inside and avoiding the outdoors.

I'd love to wax poetic about the approach of beautiful fall leaves, cozy scarves, and steamy pumpkin spice lattes, but this is Texas. There will be no colorful leaves. Scarves are for fashion only, and even then they are as gauzy as they come and layered over a tank. And, come November, I'll still be sweating when I walk up to Starbucks in the morning-- where I will most likely order a grande iced coffee. But, I will happily take those mid-high 80 degree days when they do finally roll in around sometime in October. Sigh.

OK, pity party over. I did just return from a fabulous 10 day vacation from the Pacific Northwest, where we had a great time catching up with family and friends in Seattle, Portland, and beautiful Orcas Island (along with a string of gorgeous 80 degree days.) I'm catching up on laundry, lots of work emails, and (let's be honest) a full DVR, but hope to post some pictures later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment