Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Twenty-One Months: A Letter


Dear Nicholas,

You are twenty-one months! The past month was a quiet one for our family, but, as usual, included plenty of action and adventure for you. One highlight of the month was our trip to the pumpkin patch, Sweet Berry Farms, out in Marble Falls, on October 12th. You were much more interested in the pumpkin patch this year, and loved picking up and examining all the small pumpkins and gourds, sitting inside a real fire truck, feeding the goats (or watching me feed them... you didn't want to get too close), and running through the fields of the big pumpkins. We picked out several to take home to decorate the house, and you've enjoyed looking at and playing with your "punkins" all month.



During your twenty-first month, you mastered your colors. You've been working on them for the past couple months, but now you can very clearly say and identify red, blue, green, purple, pink, white, black-- and your favorite: yellow. While we're driving, you love to point out every yellow object you see-- school buses, construction machinery, stoplights, flowers, even lines on the road. You are extremely observant. (You also never miss an opportunity to point out a water tower. Fortunately we have a lot of them out in our neck of the woods!)

Continuing with the theme of driving, transportation, and trucks, you developed a deep love for garbage and recycling trucks during your twenty-first month. One Tuesday morning when Daddy was out of town, I heard the recycling truck coming down the street and raced out the kitchen through the garage, leaving both doors open, to take our recycling out at the last minute. You watched as the truck pulled up, lifted our bin with it's claw, dumped our recyclables in to the truck, and then continued down the street with a loud roar. It was love at first sight. We ended up buying you a little Melissa and Doug wooden garbage truck, complete with a bin that fits into a movable arm that dumps it into the truck, and you can't get enough. Last week, I took you outside to watch as the recycling truck visited our house again. You were fascinated as it moved down the street house by house, but got very scared and clung tightly to me when it pulled up in front of our house. It was pretty noisy, so I don't blame you. They are a little safer from afar. However, that one close encounter hasn't dimmed your enthusiasm and you continue to discuss garbage trucks constantly.

Y

You continue to pick up lots of new speech, including manners. You've used the word please (peez) regularly for several months now, but you recently added thank you (tank-oo) and you're welcome (welcome.) You don't always know the appropriate time to say thank you or you're welcome, but you're working on it and we appreciate the effort! You will often hand us something and then immediately say "tank-oo," or, my favorite, "tank-oo welcome!" all as one phrase. You've also started saying I'm sorry (I saw-wee) randomly. I'm not sure you actually know what it means because it will just pop out at odd times, as I'm changing your diaper for example. Once you said it to me about a half hour after you had hit me in the face, so I wondered if that might be a true apology. Even if it wasn't, your sweet little "I saw-wee Mommy" was more than enough to erase any lingering frustration on my part. It's clear that they are working with you on manners at school and we notice your effort.


You've also started saying lots of new phrases-- more than I can count at this point. One of my favorites is "where'd it go?" You will usually preface this with a very dramatic "oh no!" and then follow it up with "right there!" (wite dare!) Or if we ask you where something went, you will always say "wite dare!" and point somewhere nearby (even if that's not where the object is.) It's pretty cute.

Another favorite new expression is your rabbit face. You will scrunch up your nose and then exhale rapidly several times like a rabbit breathing. You have a wide array of animal sounds and expressions, but I can't get enough of your rabbit face.


These days you love to mimic anything we do, from trying on ours shoes or Daddy's hats, helping me "cook" (stirring a wooden spoon inside a pot or colander), or asking "bite? bite?" whenever you see us eating something (even if it's the exact same thing that's on your plate.) You've learned the word for coffee (cop-fee) and are always pointing out "Mommy hot cop-fee" or "Daddy hot cop-fee." Sometimes you'll ask for a "bite?" but we tell you no and you're usually content to drink your milk-- which you refer to as "hot milk"-- instead.


These days you are starting to give unprompted hugs. You will say "ug? ug?" and then walk into my arms and put your head on my shoulder. Frequently you ask me to put you in your bed at night before I've had my fill of snuggles (and I always oblige-- you know what you want), so I am enjoying these other spontaneous displays of affection. You don't really like to give kisses, and barely tolerate receiving them, but you seem to like a good hug now and then. I am always happy to give or receive them.

You are becoming more and more independent, knowledgeable, feisty, and fun-- and each day we look forward to seeing what's next.

Love you buddy!

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment