Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Back at it again!


Training, that is... although this time it will be pretty mild. My triathlon partner in crime, Anne, has convinced me to run the San Antonio Rock'n'Roll half marathon relay with her on November 14th. This means we divide up the 13.1 miles between us, although the two legs aren't equal in length. She's using this race as an opportunity to test the waters and decide if she wants to do the Austin half marathon in February, so she is running the longer leg (7.7 miles), while I'm running the much shorter 5.4 mile leg. So my "training" isn't exactly going to be super intense, but since I can barely run 3 miles without walking a little bit right now, I definitely need to get out there for some training runs over the next 5 weeks.
Using Hal Higdon's 10K training schedule as an outline, I'll probably try to fit in one strength training session, one cross-training session (bike, elliptical, etc.-- anything to get my heart rate up for an extended period), and two runs per week. Since I only need to work up to a little over 5 miles, the running should be pretty manageable (and hopefully not too hard on my knee!) How sad is it that I pay good money every month for a gym membership, but need to pay additional money and sign up for a race where I am threatened with pain, humiliation, and/or injury if I don't train in order to actually get my butt moving?? Oh well... I'll take the motivation where I can get it!

1 comment:

  1. Um yes, I haven't been to the gym since August. Whoopsies!!!

    I am so hot/cold. I am either fanatical about training and working out or I spend weeks glued to the couch. I really apparently need to work on moderation and fitness just for fun, ha!

    ReplyDelete