Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fall

In Texas, people love fall. Actually, I think people love fall all over the Southeast, Midwest, and Northeast, too-- although for different reasons. In the Northwest, fall is nice. You enjoy some foliage, cheer on some football (go Ducks!), and maybe even do a little apple picking or cider sampling. You know... it's pleasant. But it's not the season that everyone looks forward to (almost desperately) for nine months out of the year. (That would be summer, when we finally get our body's quota of Vitamin D.) However, here in Texas, fall is definitely everyone's favorite season. Six months ago, when the blue bonnets were out in full force, I would have put money squarely on spring as the best season in Texas, but I'm coming around on fall... it's definitely bringing the competition.

I've already waxed poetic on the beautiful weather and lack of humidity (after summer, the cooler temps and lack of humidity are reason alone to love fall.) There's football, but I think we can all agree that Texas doesn't have a whole lot to get excited about in that department this year. I think what was really holding me back in terms of unabashedly loving fall was that it took me a while to get over the fact that fall doesn't have to mean sweaters, boots, and hot beverages. It doesn't have to mean thick stews and chilly nights. I may not even need to wear a jacket outside until December because the high today was 87 (true story.) But, I do have endless reasons to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors: jogging after work because it's now in the 80s and it actually feels good. Hiking in the Greenbelt. Grilling up a storm. (And, yes, I occasionally still wear boots and sweaters or sip a pumpkin spice latte in the comfort of my AC because I feel like it.)
So, in honor of my new found love of fall (and Hobby Lobby), I spruced up my mantle a little with some some seasonal flair. I'm way late in sharing my fall decor with the blog world, but better late than never. I give you my autumnal mantlescape... Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I always loved summer too (grew up in Wisconsin), but after this HOT summer in St. Louis....I'm all about fall. I don't even mind the idea of winter -- I'm just way over 95+ days!! Your mantle looks great - isn't Hobby Lobby fun!!??

    ReplyDelete