Friday, October 15, 2010

There's a first time for everything

This weekend J & I are heading up to Dallas to meet his parents (who flew down to Texas last week have been doing a road trip through Galveston, New Orleans, and Mississippi) and are venturing out to the Texas State Fair. Would you believe that I have never attended a state fair... ever? J assured this is extremely weird.

Where I grew up in Oregon, the state fair just wasn't a big deal. It was the same situation in California, where I went to college and lived for several years after college. (In fact, I don't know if California even has one.) In Washington, the state fair was a little bit more of a big deal-- as in, I recall seeing commercials for it on TV and actually knew a few people who attended. I think I even talked casually about going with some friends once or twice, but it just never happened.

So this will be my inaugural state fair visit. And what better way to get the full experience than to visit the Texas State Fair-- arguably the biggest and baddest of them all? From my limited state fair knowledge, the Texas fair is known for its wide variety of delectable fried treats. I'm not big on fried food, but, really-- who can pass up fried candy bars, fried pie, fried butter (ew?), fried margaritas (!), or fried beer (!!)? I need to try a few of these items just for the novelty. I'm also a sucker for carnival rides, so I'm hoping they'll have a few of those.

The weekend forecast looks amazing... highs of 85, lows in the 50s. Have I mentioned that I love October in Texas? Clear blue skies, endless sunny days, zero humidity, and temps that insist you soak up every possible minute outdoors. Hope your weekend agenda includes some delicious (fried) food and gorgeous fall weather too!

1 comment:

  1. I went last weekend! Should be gorgeous weather! Have a Fletcher's corn dog and ride the Texas Star...I heard the fried beer was gross, so I steered clear!

    ReplyDelete