Friday, September 27, 2013

Five on Friday

Happy Friday y'all! As usual, the weekend can't come soon enough. Here are a few highlights from the week:

1.) Babies, babies, and more babies! One of my best friends from college, who now happily lives just an hour and a half away from me in San Antonio, gave birth to her first baby yesterday. I can't wait to meet the little guy in a few weeks! And, in a very exciting turn of events, my sister-in-law gave birth to her and my brother's first child yesterday as well-- three weeks early. The crazy part is that my brother was actually in the Austin area this week for work, and he got the call on Wednesday that Brooke's water had broken. So he got in the car, drove an hour and a half from the resort where the conference was to Austin airport, flew to LA, had a layover, and then flew the rest of the way to Portland. Fortunately, he made it with plenty of time to spare. This new little baby (still unnamed) makes me an aunt for the first time! I'm can't wait to squeeze him when I'm home for Christmas.

2.) Big weekend plans ahead... we're heading to the birthday party of one Nicholas' little buddies, Reid, tomorrow morning, followed by date night with two other couples tomorrow night downtown. We're going to try out a new Mexican joint, Benji's Cantina, on West 6th. It's been a loooong time since I've been out anywhere on 6th street, so it should be entertaining to say the least. And I'm always up for a good margarita...


3.) Even bigger weekend plans? That's right... it's the series finale of Breaking Bad. I am going to be so sad to say goodbye to Walter White and Jesse Pinkman, but... wow. What a ride it's a been. Best TV show of all time? Jason still stands by The Sopranos, but I've got Breaking Bad and Friday Night Lights in a dead heat. I can't wait to see how they wrap up this whole suspenseful/sad/crazy creative saga.


4.) I'm reading Sisterland for my book club and can't put it down. I've loved Curtis Sittenfeld's previous books, Prep and American Wife, and this one is no exception. Great writing, suspenseful story telling, and a really creative plot. By the way, I'm super late to the e-reader bandwagon, but after holding out for most of the last decade because I "just like the way a book feels," I caved and got a Kindle last year and am now totally addicted. I kind of miss being able to look at the cover art and read the synopsis on the back, but it's so satisfying to be able to download and read whatever my little heart desires in seconds. Instant gratification-- that's where it's at.


5.) Earlier this week, I guest posted at Stafford Stories as part of Melissa's series on a day in the life of a working mom. Go check it out here!

1 comment:

  1. Love the ebooks! Although lately I'm on a kick of checking out library books, which I haven't done since college and I feel retro and thrifty. ;)

    ReplyDelete