Sunday, September 27, 2009

'Horns, hotties, and weekend happenings

We're a few weeks into the football season, so I'm a little late posting pics. Now, I didn't go to a school with a division 1 football team (or even a division 2 team...), but I grew up going to University of Oregon football games regularly throughout my childhood and teen years. My dad and most of my family members are some of the Ducks' biggest fans, so I know a little bit about team loyalty and passionate fans. However, nothing prepared me for my first Longhorns game. Over 100,000 people packed into Memorial Stadium-- a veritable sea of burnt orange-- people screaming and chanting like crazy, tailgates as far as the eye can see-- many with industrial-size barbecues smoking up racks of ribs and steaks, SUVs with satellite dishes attached and an array of big screen TVs set up in parking lots over half of downtown Austin broadcasting just about every football game in the Big 12, Big 10, SEC and PAC 10. The sheer scale of Texas football is unbelievable. Last week, during the UT/Texas Tech game, the stadium reported the largest football attendance ever in the state of Texas-- over 101,200 people! I think half the towns in Oregon (and Texas for that matter) have smaller populations than that! We're 4-0 to date; National Championships here we come! (Sorry, Dad!)

Moving on the "hotties" portion of this update (it's all about the alliteration!)-- at last week's Tech game, we heard people cheering (more than usual) behind us, so we turned around and who was seated in a box about 15 rows behind us?

Yeah, that's Matthew McConaughey. He was there leaning out of the box for the entire game, occasionally flashing his "hook 'em" sign, cheering, holding his baby, chatting with his wife. You know, just chilling out. We're buddies now. ; )

And, on the topic of celeb sightings, I saw Lance Armstrong last week (he literally rode his bike in front of my car while I was stopped at a light) and J saw Brad Leland (aka Buddy Garrity) a few days ago at the pizza parlor up the street from our apartment. Chalk another one up for the FNL cast... I'm still waiting on Riggins though! Where is he?!? I'd settle for a Coach Taylor sighting too.

That's the latest here. J and I have been battling colds so this weekend was a mellow one. We did catch some live music at a bar on deep East 6th last night (as in east of I-35), as well as checking out a new hole in the wall Mexican place, Polvos, on South 1st on Friday. Mmmm... margaritas and guac. Now we're gearing up for another ep of Mad Men, and then the work week starts all over again. Hope you all had a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. so i thought of you because i saw one of the girls from FNL at victoria's secret at the mall yesterday!

    also...polvos=YUM!! excellent choice!!

    we should grab a glass of wine soon to catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I've been waiting for a football post! You sound like a legit fan, I'm so impressed. Also, great to hear about all the sightings in Austin -- Matt saw Janice Dickinson this morning and then afternoon walking the hill in front of our house, but she's no Matthew McConaughey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man! You have FNL crew AND Matthew. Not fair, totally jealous!! Are you and Jason going to have some billboards made for your front yard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ran across your blog from Kelly's Korner and was scrolling down. Right away I noticed Matthew Mc! Oh girl, I would move to Texas just to see him! Love that guy, and my husband knows this! Ha! My hubs runs marathons and is also a triathlete; therefore, loves Lance A. So, I love this post!

    ReplyDelete