Wednesday, September 30, 2009

How'd I do in September?

Well, we've been in Austin for just over two months, and I am finally starting to feel fairly settled and in a routine, which is good-- I am a creature of routine. The one routine I'm still struggling with is getting back into a regular fitness plan now that I'm working again. I was on a roll when we first moved here, working out 5 times a week most of the time, but, as to be expected, any time my daily routine changes, my workout routine changes-- and usually not for the better. This month, my gym attendance has been pretty poor. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to convince myself that I really can look and feel great without regular exercise, I know that's just not the case for me. (Some people seem to manage it, but I'm not one of them.) So, back to the drawing board on the gym front. I'm thinking of signing up for the Lance Armstrong Livestrong 5K at the end of October for a little motivation.

Anyhoo, let's reflect on my September goals:
  • Workout 4 times a week. Nope. Resetting expectations and ramping up motivation for October. Cooling temps should make outdoor exercise more appealing.
  • Really finish putting every thing away, hanging up pictures, etc. Yes! I know this is really not that impressive since we've been here two months, but I am a huge slacker. I could still use some drawer organizers in the kitchen and the pantry is looking a little rough these days, but overall we're in good shape.
  • Get out and try or visit two new Austin activities or sites. Another score here. In addition to several UT football games, we've been to see live music on 6th Street (east of I-35) and wander around that neighborhood, which is totally eclectic and funky. We've also ridden pedicabs home twice from football games. The first time was out of necessity because my legs were absolute jello after 5+ hours of standing and walking at the tailgate and football game, and the second time was just because it's a fun way to see the city.
  • Make one new and interesting recipe per week. Check. I can't remember them all, but I know I've made penne with cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives from this book (one of my favorites!), linguine with bolognese sauce from the same book, halibut poached in white wine, lemon, and herbs, and a salad nicoise with spicy sauteed shrimp (leftovers of that one tonight! mmm...)

Contemplating whether I am going to do goals for October or something more fun. In the meantime, I'm mentally motivating for my post-work run!

1 comment:

  1. I see lots of green, good work! I too pledge to work out more in October. Do you have any good strategies, like promising yourself a shopping trip? That's one of my favorite incentives...

    ReplyDelete