Friday, October 30, 2009

Girl Time and Big Weekend Ahead

Last night I had an impromptu happy hour with one of my new gal pals at Cantina Laredo (the tour de tacos continues as I chalked up yet another visit to a Mexican restaurant!) It was "ladies night," which conjures cheesy piano bars with burly bouncers and lots of shiny shirt guys, but Cantina Laredo is actually really nice and upscale. And, anyway, who am I to argue with 1/2 off adult beverages?? So we enjoyed ourselves some margs, table-side guac, and a huge appetizer platter with marinated pork tacos, chicken quesadillas, grilled meat skewers, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. It was really good-- kind of swankified Mexican. (I realize this is quickly turning into a Mexican restaurant review blog, but I promise to come up with some new content soon!) I've felt pretty isolated here the past few months-- other than work, my life has consisted of a lot of DVR-ed TV, the occasional workout, and that's about it. But it's really nice to feel like I'm finally starting to make friends, and, as she is also the wife of a b-school student, it was nice to have someone to talk to about the whole experience who is also going through the same things and totally gets it. I love my hubs, but sometimes you just need some girl time to relax and refresh your perspective.

And we've got more fun in store for us this weekend! Kristin and Dan are coming to visit from NYC, and so we're going to show them the best that Austin has to offer. They have a few other friends down here in the lone star state (a couple in Dallas and another friend here), so everyone is converging in Austin for the weekend. I expect that there will be more Mexican food, some delicious BBQ (we can't let any visitor escape without a trip to the Salt Lick), line dancing, live music, maybe a trip to the Alamo Drafthouse, and some crazy shenanigans that I can't even predict. I'm heading out of work a bit early and to pick them up at the airport. Can't wait!

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, the reason I moved here was because my brother in law and sister moved here for MBA school. The live in Houston now, and I stayed here. I know when they were in school my sister joined a group called SAS. Have you tried that? They have happy hours and get togethers, my sister met two of her now best friends that way. Let me know if you would like to meet up sometime. I did not go to business school but I do know a lot about that whole process, plus I am always down for a good margarita!

    ReplyDelete