Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Motivation

Having kind of a blah day here. It's raining, which normally I wouldn't complain about since we get far too little of it and it reminds me of home, but it's also about 82 out, so it's this gross steamy rain. Windows literally steam up because of it. Yuck. I also have literally nothing to do at work currently, so the minutes are just dragging by. I've been trying to use my free time to get myself organized and make lists.

List-making is one of my favorite activities-- I keep all kinds of on-going lists: groceries, stuff I need from Target, other items I'd like to purchase for my home, tasks I need to accomplish today, this week, and over the long term. However, the lists are just that-- lists. Sometimes I find it hard to figure out how to transfer my zest for making lists into actually doing the stuff on the lists. Housekeeping is my biggest challenge. I am a strange version of neat freak-- I LOVE to have a clean, pristine house with everything in its place, but I go through these binge and purge phases where I'll just be too exhausted and overwhelmed with everything that I feel needs to get done so I'll just do nothing. The result is a mess-- dishes in the sink, clothes strewn all over the bedroom floor, and little piles of paper on every flat surface throughout my home. Inevitably, I will get a burst of motivation and finally be able to face the to-do list, and then I'll feverishly clean every nook and cranny until my entire apartment is gleaming. However, this is not a good system. It's exhausting, and it always consumes most of a weekend whenever I go on one of my cleaning sprees.

What I need is a system that inspires me to do a little bit each day so that I can keep on top of the clutter without needing to spend my precious weekends devoted to cleaning up the mess we made all week. It's just so hard to find the motivation! I can stick with it for a few days, but then it just begins to feel like I'm a little hamster running around on a wheel and that the cleaning, tidying, and organizing is never going to end. (Which I suppose is true... we are human after all.) Does anyone have any great systems you use for keeping your houses tidy on a regular basis? Or motivational secrets to tackle the clutter and those other little projects around the house that just nag at you? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. Ha me too! I had a pile of clean clothes on the floor to be folded. They were there for about 3 days, and the whole time it bothered me yet I did nothing about it. My "secret" is having a cleaning crew once a month for $100. It's a little scary by the end of the month, but that means I just do minor cleaning like dishes and countertops.

    ReplyDelete