Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Eighteen Months: A Letter


Dear Nicholas,

You are eighteen months old today! It is hard to believe that half a year has already sped by since your first birthday, and even harder to believe that you are now closer to two than one. This second year sure has gone by fast, and, although challenging at times, it sure has been fun!

On to the stats. Your official 18 month visit isn't until the first week of August, so I'll update this post then, but as of a recent doctor visit (due to yet another ear infection) you are weighing in at about 27 and a half pounds. I'm guessing that's at or above the 50th percentile. I'll add your height after we see the doctor in two weeks.


Your language development continues to speed along at a rapid clip, and your pronunciation of many words is getting noticeably better. Even just a few weeks ago you said "Mon-ee" and "Da-ee." Now you clearly say Mommy and Daddy. You can say a wide variety of animal names or noises, including "dah" (dog), "fuff fuff"(ruff ruff), meow, "boooo" (moo), neigh, rabbit, chicken, bird, "dut" (duck), and rawr (for both lions and bears), and you can open and close your mouth like a fish. (You like to do this when you eat Goldfish crackers or when you wear your One Fish Two Fish Dr. Seuss bib.)


You've always loved songs, but now you are starting to try to sing along. You're always good for a round of Old MacDonald, and happily chime in "yi-ee-yi-ee" during the "ee-i-ee-i-o" part. You also recently learned Row Row Row Your Boat at school, and you will say "woah woah" (row row) and make little oaring motions. It's pretty cute.


A few weeks ago on July 7th, you made my day when you told me you loved me for the first time. (I'm not sure you actually know what it means, but I'll take it any day!) I was rocking you in your glider before bed and told you I loved you. Then I asked if you could say it. You said "wuv-oo." It was cute, but I knew you were just mimicking me, so I didn't think much of it. A few minutes later, I laid you down in your crib, said good night and "I love you," and turned to walk towards the door. A few seconds later, as I was opening the door to leave, I heard you pipe up "wuv-oo!" from your crib. Be still my heart. It was adorable. I haven't heard it since, but I know you'll surprise us one day and say it again.


You say a bunch of other funny and cute things on a regular basis. You love to point out cars or trains in books and comment that they are going "bye bye!" (And your "bye bye" often sounds like you are a distinguished Southern gentleman with a thick accent -- "buh bahye.") You always ask if your food is "ot? ot?" (hot) and want me to blow on it. However, hot is the only temperature-related word you know, so you use it to describe any food that is not room temperature, including fruit straight out of the fridge or a sippy cup of ice water. You love some "ot" ice water. You have started using the sign for please (rubbing your chest) and will accompany it with a high pitched "peez?" when you really want something, especially a "snat" (snack). It is nearly impossible for me to refuse you when you say "peez." You just sound so polite and look so earnest!


You continue to be obsessed with all things transportation. You love "truts" and point them out constantly during every car ride. ("Truts" include trucks, SUVs, most sedans, and sometimes trains, wagons, riding mowers, or other types of large equipment.) You will also say "vroom vroom" and "beep beep!" We leave tomorrow for a summer trip back to Seattle and Portland, and you have been talking about it for weeks. You can't wait to "fy" on an "ah-pane." I can't wait to see your excitement when we board the real airplane, and again later in the trip when we take a train from Seattle to Portland.


You love your daycare, especially your teacher, Emily, and you frequently mention her name, along with your good buddies Archer, Jack, and Drew. You are learning a lot at school and always surprise us with new words or concepts that we know you didn't pick up from us. Just last weekend, I was trying to entertain you in the dressing room while Daddy tried on new shirts and started asking you to point out your body parts. You have been saying and pointing to nose and eyes for a month or two, but I asked about your mouth, head, hands, feet, tummy, fingers, and hair and you were able to point all of them out. Way to go, buddy! You are so bright and so observant. You don't miss anything. I know you will keep us on our toes over the years, and I love that about you.


Nicholas, we just love the little person you are becoming. You are such a joy to be around, and your laugh and smile light up the room.

All my love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment