Friday, July 12, 2013

Five on Friday


TGIF... Can I get an Amen? I'm linking up again with the ladies for Five on Friday. Here's what's going on with us:

1.) Blues on Green: We felt like hip, urban parents this week when we took the little man out to meet up with friends at Blues on the Green. I like to think of myself as hip and urban, but the reality is that I live deep in the 'burbs, and these days I usually go out of my away to avoid anything that involves a 30 minute walk from our parking spot, while schlepping my toddler (out past his bedtime), along with a cooler, blanket, and diaper bag, through massive crowds, in 102 degree heat. However, we all had a great time. Despite staying out waaaay past his bedtime Wednesday night (which we're still paying for today), Nicholas had a blast running through Zilker Park, eating all of our friend's blackberries and corn chips, and people watching galore. And we enjoyed hearing Bob Schneider, cooling off with some chilled wine, and catching up with friends. Win win.


We had the Bob packed to the gills... Nicholas had to ride with his feet on the cooler!


2.) Kale Salad: I'm late to the kale band wagon. Despite being both a fairly healthy and adventurous eater, I haven't eaten much kale-- let alone tried preparing it. Last weekend, however, we attended a fun 4th of July BBQ (thanks Amelia!) and one of the pot luck dishes was an amazing kale salad. I'm talking warm bacon vinaigrette, capers, shallots... delicious. I am now on a mission to recreate this salad or find another equally delicious kale salad recipe. (If you have any good recipes, feel free to send 'em my way.)

3.) Revenge: Continuing with my summer theme of a near-weekly new TV series, I recently started Revenge. Intellectually stimulating? Nope. Trashy? Kinda. Totally entertaining? Bingo. Jason's sitting this one out, however. We wrapped up season 1 of House of Cards last week (anyone know when season 2 comes out?), so this will fill the void until I find something else that we can both enjoy. Jason's pushing for The Sopranos (he owns the DVDs for all 6 seasons), but I'm just not feeling it. I know it's supposed to be one of the best shows ever made, and it's not the violence or crime that deters me (ahem, I am counting down the days until Breaking Bad returns), but I'm just not that into mafia stories. Thoughts?


4.) Sales and Stripes: I'm loving all the summer clearance sales going on now. Considering we've still got 2+ months of 100 degree temps ahead of us, I can't pass up a few summer items on the cheap. I recently picked up this cute striped dress from GAP

 ... and this striped tank from Banana Republic
... both on clearance. Can't pass up a steal.

5.) Vaca! We're heading back to Seattle and Portland for 10 days in less than two weeks. It can't come soon enough! I'm looking forward to seeing family and friends, and enjoying our first getaway sans baby for two nights on Orcas Island to attend a friend's wedding.

What's new with you?

2 comments:

  1. Another great post. Kale salad rocks:) TV shows you both will enjoy for sure "Homeland", "Game of thrones","Dexter". We really liked "The sopranos" but we never get to watch season 6, maybe one of those days we will finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we LOVED Homeland. Game of Thrones and Dexter are on our list.

      Delete