Monday, June 29, 2009

Taking it all in...

We had a fabulous Seattle summer weekend, and I find myself trying to take in and memorize all the things I love about the city this time of year-- the view of the Olympics off the viaduct as I drive home from work, the way the sun highlights the jagged peaks of the mountains as it sets behind them, and the fact that it stays light until 10pm at midsummer. The way the blackberry bushes at Greenlake smell in the sun, and the scent of pavement after a summer rain. The lushness of all the neighborhood gardens, overflowing with huge tumbling peony bushes and fragrant roses, and the way the blue sky looks through the thick canopy of leaves when I'm lying in the grass.

Summer has always been my favorite season because it's so spectacular here in the Northwest. I know summer in Austin will introduce me to a whole new set of fragrances, sights, and experiences that I will grow to love, but despite that I know I will miss Seattle's natural beauty and the amazing gifts Mother Nature bestows upon the Northwest every summer-- it makes the long months of gray skies worth it!
And then there are our friends... Having moved around quite a bit as a kid and in my adult life as well, Seattle actually ties my parents' current home as the place I've lived the longest. After 5 years here, I've made some amazing friends who will be dearly missed. Of course, I already have plans to get most of them out to Austin for a visit in the next year. Fortunately I'm moving to a city that just about everyone wants to come check out.

I'll sign off with some photos from the weekend. My amazing girlfriends threw us a going away barbeque on Alki beach, and we had such a great time. We also made time for one last trip up to Kerry Park to enjoy the city view.

No comments:

Post a Comment