Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another year older...

Another year wiser! Or, that's what I like to tell myself. It just sounds better than, "another year older, and more crows feet to show for it." ; ) My birthday yesterday was lovely. I got done with my waitressing gig early and they gave me a nice piece of chocolate cake as a goodbye/birthday gift. Then I went to Polish and got the best manicure and pedicure ever. Seriously, I highly recommend that anyone in the Austin area checks this place out. It's in a cute little house up off 38th and Lamar, and it's super clean with comfy chairs and nice decor. They don't use those big spa chairs with the built whirlpools, so it seems a lot more sanitary. And (this might be the best part), they give you a little plate of goodies (muffin, crispy cinnamon twists, chocolates) and wine for free! And, the service is excellent. The massages are long and they include a parafin dip as part of the regular manicure. To top it all off, it's pretty reasonable too... $45 for the mani/pedi combined. I will definitely be going back!

Afterward, I headed home and got prettied up for dinner. J gave me a lovely pair of fall flats from Nordstrom that I've been coveting, and then we headed out to Olivia. I had never heard of it, but apparently it's brand new and it got rated as one the top 10 best new restaurants in the whole country by Bon Appetit. Can't argue with that. The food was delish. We each had a prix fixe menu, and I chose lobster bisque, the Texas peach and arugula salad with goat cheese and bacon, lamb t-bones on lemon risotto with charred tomatoes, and one of the best molten chocolate cakes I've ever had. It was served with cinnamon ice cream, on a little bit of berry puree, and with some chocolate toffee shards. Seriously, berries, toffee, and deep dark chocolate all in one dessert? It doesn't get any better. I essentially had to roll myself home, but it was worth it. That's what those five workouts a week are for!

Now I'm motivating to get up off the couch and get us all packed and ready to head back to Seattle. Have a fabulous weekend and I'll be back on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment