Friday, August 21, 2009

When it rains, it pours!

Actually, in Seattle, not so much... that's why we have so many names for rain: drizzle, mist, shower, sprinkle, etc. They all convey something less than full fledged RAIN, and full fledged rain is actually pretty rare in the great NW. But in Austin... it pours! And since we're still in crazy drought mode (officially it's stage 2, which means that restaurants can no longer serve water unless a patron specifically asks for it), you can probably guess that I'm not talking about real precipitation. Oh no, my friends. When it rains, it pours... on the job front! (Yes, that was possibly the longest segueway ever. Whatever. Stick with me here.)


Earlier this week I mentioned that I just got a job serving at an upscale restaurant. I'm a week into the position and I'm enjoying it more than I expected-- the staff is really nice, the patrons are (mostly) nice, and it's generally a very pleasant, relaxed atmosphere. But two days ago, I recieved a call from the marketing agency I'd had several interviews with, and they offered me a fantastic position. Clearly, I need to do what's best for my family, and since I'm the sole breadwinner right now, passing up a good job in marketing in order to wait tables several times a week is not exactly in the cards. So today I happily accepted the offer, just in time to celebrate over the weekend! Now I just have to figure out a way to tell the restaurant that I'm quitting after not much more than a week of work... Yikes. I guess that's not a terrible problem to have, but I'm still nervous. I'm a people-pleaser at heart, so I hate disappointing people. Wish me luck on Monday morning when I have to break the news. Until then, it's the weekend, and I am off to soak up some rays at the pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment