Sunday, August 2, 2009

Friday Night Lights and Fredericksburg

We got our furniture this past Thursday (yay!!), so most of the weekend was spent unpacking and organizing. But, we did have time for a couple fun excursions. J and I are big Friday Night Lights fans. I wasn't joking when I mentioned that the cast (alledgedly) lives in our complex when they're in town filming-- nor was I joking about my desire to see Tim Riggins (aka Taylor Kitsch) lounging by our pool one of these days... apparently shooting for season 4 starts on September 3rd... hmmmm... but I digress.

Being new to Austin we have a lengthy list of sights we want to check out. And what floated to the top of our list this weekend? If you guessed the Pflugerville Panthers stadium, bingo! (If not, that's cool... you're, um, normal...) This is the school and stadium they use to film the fictional Dillon Panther football team and all their crazy Texas high school shenanigans. If you watch the show, you'll recognize the Panther logo. We drove around the track and football field and recognized some of the angles they use for the show. No celeb sightings, but it was a fun little detour.
We also made a trip out into the Texas hill country to check out Fredericksburg, a small town established by German immigrants in the 1840s. It's a really cute town, full of boutiques, restaurants, and lots of really well preserved buildings from the 19th century. Fredericksburg is located right in the scenic hill country, which is becoming known as the Texas wine country, so we had to stop at a few vineyards to test out the local vino. I probably wouldn't rank it as high as California, Washington, or Oregon wines (what can I say? I'm biased ; ), but it was not bad! At two wineries they had live music, so we grabbed a drink and sat and listened for a while. We're getting the hang of this Texas lifestyle! We only brought home one bottle, but we're looking forward to going back and checking out some other wineries, buying a few more bottles, and maybe spending the night.

Gothic style church from late 1800s

For some reason this picture reminds me of Back to the Future and the picture of Michael J. Fox and his siblings that starts disappearing... anyone?


Historic pioneer courthouse building. And, yes, this dress has been in heavy rotation this summer... I promise I have others!

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of the Gothic style church! So enchanting! :)

    ReplyDelete