Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Baby #2: Weeks 15 - 16


15 weeks

Dates: January 14 - January 27, 2014

Highlights: We celebrated Nicholas' second birthday on the 23rd. It's hard to believe it's already been two years, and being pregnant again had me reminiscing about the final days and weeks of my first pregnancy. I am also starting to feel the baby move on a regular basis (every other day or so at this point.) I actually felt the very first movements right around 11 weeks, but it was so early that I wasn't sure if it truly was our little miss or if I was just feelings the remnants of dinner being digested. At my (almost) 16 week appointment, I asked the doctor about this and he assured me that it is possible for second-(or more)-time moms to feel the baby that early.

Symptoms: I've started getting bad headaches, particularly in the afternoon and particularly if I'm not adequately hydrated. I also experienced my first Braxton Hicks contractions right around 15 weeks. Again, my doctor said this is a little early, but not unheard of for second time moms. I'm also still feeling the occasional bout of queasiness, but it seems to be rapidly clearing up.


16 weeks

What's Different: Both the headaches and the Braxton Hicks contracts are new-- I didn't experience either one with Nicholas. Also different this time around is my exercise routine. Now that I'm in the second trimester and feeling a little bit better, I've committed to working out three times a week. I'm still doing my twice weekly boot camp, and I've added a third day of exercise (usually a long walk on the weekend.) I'm a little slower with the sprints at boot camp and can't quite lift as much weight, but feels good to be maintaining a decent level of fitness.

What's the Same: My right hip pain and general sciatica are both flaring up. Fortunately the exercise and stretching seem to help.

What I Miss: As the nausea fades and my appetite is coming back, I am really starting to miss my wine. To be expected I guess.

What I'm Looking Forward To: We've scheduled our big 20 week fetal anatomy scan for February 21st. (I'll be a few days shy of 20 weeks.) We already know the sex, but I'm just looking forward to seeing our little lady again since my last ultrasound was at 6 weeks. I'm also a little anxious and really hoping that she'll get a clean bill of health. It will be a relief to pass that milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment