Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Letter to My Son

Hey Buddy,

Yes, you have a name, but your Dad and I have decided not to share it until you make your big debut. We're expecting you any day now and my emotions have run the gamut from nervous and anxious-- will you and I both make it through labor and delivery healthy and safe? will I be up to the demands of caring for a newborn around the clock? will I be a good mom?-- to happy, excited, and curious about who you are and who you will become.

From the looks of the ultrasounds pictures (and I have many, which I've put into an album for you to enjoy one day), I think you take after your Dad in the looks department. You appear to have his profile, cheeks, and chin. It will be interesting to see if this proves true once we really meet you. I'm also very excited to get to know you and learn your little personality. You've been very chill and laid back to date. During my ultrasounds, the technician usually has to jiggle my belly with the ultrasound wand to get you to move. We joke that you love to sleep (like your Mom) and I hope this is truly the case!

Your Dad and I both have many hopes and dreams for you. We talk all the time about the trips we want to take with you, the skills and activities we want to teach you, and all of the exciting things in this big world that we want to share with you. I know your Dad is excited to introduce you to his love of tennis and soccer (you already have a little soccer onesie ready for watching Saturday morning games with him), and I can't wait to take you camping, swimming, and hiking like I did with my family as a child. But, most of all, we just want to support and nurture you as you grow into the person you are uniquely meant to be. We will be your biggest fans and cheerleaders, and we can't wait to experience this lifelong journey we are about to take with you. There will be many ups and downs, but through it all, know that our love for you is unconditional and unending. We are privileged to have the honor of welcoming you into this world and raising you, and we cannot wait to meet you.

All my love,
Momma

P.S. Go easy on me!

1 comment:

  1. This is a precious note and memory of this time in your life. I am SO excited for you and what lies ahead. I have a new son, my first-born, so was in your shoes not too long ago, and the time since my son's birth has been the most amazing (and trying and emotional and difficult and fulfilling) time of my life. Best of luck to you! But know that there is nothing easy about labor and delivery but it's totally worth it for the end result.

    ReplyDelete