Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Weeks 34 and 35

Christmas, New Year's, work, travel, baby prep... it's been a fun and exciting (and busy!) past few weeks. I'm way behind on my weekly pregnancy posts (as well as any other kind of post-- although, let's be honest... my life at this point is pretty much entirely consumed with the final weeks of this pregnancy and baby's imminent arrival), but I am going to go ahead and try to get caught up just so I can remember these last few weeks.


December 16, 2011



December 25, 2011 (35 weeks, 2 days)

Best Moment(s): During week 34, I attended my baby shower in Portland, hosted by my best friend from high school. In addition to seeing several of my friends and family members in Portland, I got to catch up with a few good friends from Seattle, who made the drive down. During week 35, we completed our "baby MBA" with a two-day, intensive labor, delivery, and baby care class hosted at our hospital. I had already done a lot of reading, so most of it wasn't exactly new news to me, but it was reassuring to go over everything and helpful for J and I to both learn Lamaze and relaxation/massage techniques to use during labor. Then, at the end of week 35, we headed back to Portland to spend Christmas with my family.

Symptoms: Overall, I've been feeling pretty decent throughout the third trimester, but my hip pain has been increasing (and is now in both sides-- not just the right side), and around 35 weeks, sleep started becoming a nightly battle. Pregnancy mandated side sleeping combined with the hip pain means I am rotating myself like a rotisserie chicken on a spit all night long. And each time I flip over, I have to rearrange the four pillows required each night to prop me up and keep me comfortable-ish. And then there are all the bathroom breaks... So, sleep is kind of hit or miss. But I am told to enjoy the sleep I'm getting now because I will remember this time period fondly once the baby actually arrives.

Cravings/Aversions: I think my stomach has actually shrunk. That, or baby is just taking up all the room in my abdomen, making enjoying a big meal a thing of the past. Either way, my appetite has actually decreased considerably over the past few weeks, and my weight gain has slowed down as a result.

What I Miss: Comfortable sleep, easy mobility, and my energy.

What I Can't Wait For: I'm really looking forward to seeing what our little guy looks like, and figuring out his personality. Who will he look like? Who will he take after? He's been a pretty chill little fetus, but it will be interesting to see what he's like in the real world.

Milestones: At 35 weeks, the Bean weighed in at over 5 pounds and started gaining weight at the rate of about a half pound a week. He's about the size of a honeydew melon. His kidneys are fully developed now and his liver is processing waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment