Friday, August 5, 2011

Week 14


July 29, 2011

Best Moment: We are so happy to be done with the move!! We still have boxes piled up in corners throughout the house, but the worst is behind us. The picture above is from Friday night when we had our first relaxing "date night" in weeks. We also got our first baby gift from J's parents-- an adorable baby "layette" from Carters, including lots of little nightgowns, onesies, burp cloths, and other items, all decorated in a pale yellow ducky theme. My favorite item was a terry cloth towel with a little hood shaped to look like a cute duck-- perfect for my Oregon duck! ; ) Opening the baby gift made it seem so real. I know I keep saying that, but I seem to spend a lot of time very conscious of being pregnant, but not all that conscious of the fact that I am going to actually have a baby in a few short months. It's funny how I think about being pregnant all the time, but then suddenly the thought strikes me that I will have an additional little person living in my house soon, for whom I am 100% responsible, and it seems startling (albeit exciting.)

Symptoms: I've started trying to sleep on my left side as all the books advise, and, man, it's tough! I either wind up on my back or stomach, or wake up multiple times a night because sleeping on my side feels so uncomfortable and unnatural. But I'm hoping it will get easier with time. I see one of those huge pregnancy pillows in my future...

Cravings/Aversions: Nothing out of the ordinary, although my appetite went through the roof essentially the second I graduated from the first trimester to the second on Friday. Get this girl some grub!

What I Miss: Sleeping on my back without feeling guilty about it.

What I Can't Wait For: Now that we're settling into our new place, we're in major nesting mode. We're looking forward to furnishing our house and replacing some of our 10-year-old (broken) IKEA furniture.

Milestones: I've completed the first trimester. It seemed to drag on forever, but all of sudden I'm more than a third of the way through this pregnancy and now it seems like the next five and a half months could fly by!

2 comments:

  1. You look fantastic! And for what it's worth, after nights on end of waking up in a total panic because I was on my back, I finally asked my doctor about it and she told me not to worry about it. Side is great, but if you end up on your back in the night it really isn't a biggie. As she said, women lay on their backs through hours of labor and the baby is fine! (And now I'm being one of those unsolicited advice people...but really...don't sweat it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this photo of you! Congrats on your new house :)

    I was also told not to worry about sleeping position until much later. If you can still sleep on your stomach comfortably than do it for as long as you can! The reason they want you to sleep on your left side is because the weight of the uterus can put pressure on a major artery, making the flow of blood more difficult, but your body is smart and will tell you to turn over if that is happening.

    Sleep in any way that's comfortable, really! And those pillows are great. My hips started hurting during my second trimester and the big body pillow was a lifesaver :)

    ReplyDelete